BEST has asked suppliers of the King Long buses to provide definite reasons for the blaze that gutted one of the new air-conditioned buses on Thursday.
BEST’s new chairman, Pravin Chheda, said on Friday that future contracts might be terminated if the supplier was not able to provide a reason for the blaze.
The BEST committee would not pass the proposal to purchase 40 more King Long buses till the company gave a “proper response’’, he said. Besides, the supplier should replace the gutted bus with a new one as the warranty period was yet to be over, he added.
Thursday’s blaze — which gutted an empty King Long bus returning from Thane’s Cadbury Junction — was apparently caused by a short-circuit in its rear engine, officials said, adding that the blaze put a question mark on the vehicle’s safety record. A BEST internal team is expected to submit a detailed report in two days.
“It’s a costly bus and such accidents can hurt passengers,’’ Chheda said.
A similar accident, involving a short-circuit-caused fire in the rear engine, plagued the Tata Starbus soon after it was deployed by BEST in 2006; there were three incidents in as many buses supplied by Tata Motors